Today I’m taking part in the Macro Monday photo challenge. If you like what you see, I encourage you to subscribe so you can enjoy the new photos I post a few times a week.

Since I have no idea what the flowers below are (if you know, please share with me in the Comments section), I’ll focus on the colors. Flowers are  beautiful sign of nature winking at us as we walk along. When you think how many different types of flowers there are out there, it’s pretty amazing. So many sizes, shapes, colors and characteristics for our enjoyment – here are a few for you to enjoy right now.

These small pink and purple flowers look like orchids but I’m sure they’re not. I love the color patterns on the petals.

Macro Monday: small pink and purple flowers

Macro Monday: small pink and purple flowers

The next flower blooms in clusters of small purple flowers. This is what one single cluster looks like.

Macro Monday: cluster of purple flowers

Macro Monday: cluster of purple flowers

The flowers below are small and red and are from a crown of thorns plant. If you look carefully, you’ll notice each flower has only two large petals. What an interesting design!

Macro Monday: small and red red flowers - crown of thorns plant

Macro Monday: small and red red flowers – crown of thorns plant

The last flower is bright blue (not a common color in flowers) and I love all the fuzz on the stems.

Macro Monday: small blue flower

Macro Monday: small blue flower

1. Christian says:

Beautiful flowers and colors, the first could be a kind of violet flower.

Very pretty flowers! The red one is a crown of thorns.

3. Pat says:

Beautiful and unique blossoms.

Wow – I’ve never seen any of those flowers before. I love the blue of that last one. Thanks for brightening the day!

5. Peter S says:

The blue one looks like an orchid, but if it is I’ve never seen one with those ‘hairy’ stems. Everything grows so well in California!

I think I took all these photos at the San Diego Botanic Garden (not completely sure) and they feature plants from various parts of the world. The Southern California weather (plus a lot of irrigation) sure helps to spot great flowers all year long.

6. soonie2 says:

I love all this beautiful color! That blue flower is just magnificent!