Today I’m taking part in the Macro Monday photo challenge. You can click on each photo for a larger view. If you like what you see, I encourage you to subscribe so you can enjoy the new photos I post a few times a week.

I recently visited the San Diego Zoo Safari Park’s Butterfly jungle, which is always a fun event as you hope that butterflies will land directly on you. One of my kids was lucky enough to have that happen to him, as a blue morpho landed right on top of his head. We also managed to get a zebra longwing butterfly on our fingers as we passed it around from one person to the other.

Here are a few close-ups of two butterflies out of the many we saw. The others wouldn’t sit still for a picture. Even then the photos I took are a bit blurry, probably because I couldn’t stand still myself. The first is a tiger longwing butterfly, with black and white stripes on top of its wings, and black and orange stripes underneath.

Tiger longwing butterfly

Tiger longwing butterfly

The second is the zebra longwing butterfly, first with its black and white striped wings spread out wide open, and next with its wings closed, so you can see a few red dots underneath the wings. It was a fun experience for sure. Well, if you like butterflies.

Zebra longwing butterfly with striped wings

Zebra longwing butterfly with striped wings

Zebra longwing butterfly with red dots underneath its wings

Zebra longwing butterfly with red dots underneath its wings

1. Uncle Spike says:

Love your work….!

Thank you very much! I really hope to find the time to go through my photos from our vacation to the East Coast because there are a lot of very cool shots in there. One day at a time…

2. Pieni Lintu says:

Great shots! 🙂

Nature’s colors and patterns on display. Lovely. 🙂

4. WolfSong says:

Lovely shots!
    I always find butterflies to be a challenge to photgraph…but when you catch them, they are gorgeous. You definitely caught them in their glory!

They are very hard to photograph and I think it’s a bit easier if you use a very good zoom lens to shoot from far away rather than a macro lens like me, hunching over each butterfly just a few inches away.

5. Pat says:

Beautiful butterfly!

6. Karen says:

What a beauty! Wonderfully captured!

7. I just love Longwing butterflies 🙂 Your first one is the Cydno Longwing I think. I photographed them at Wisley in the Glasshouse at the start of the year and had to research the longwings a bit as they were supposed to be Postmen. Really great photos 🙂

8. de Wets Wild says:

They’re absolutely exquisite Milka, and need a photographer as talented as you to showcase them at their best!

9. soonie2 says:

Fantastic macros! Such beauties!