Today I’m participating in the WordPress weekly photo challenge and this week’s theme is “work of art”. Remember you can click on each photo for a larger view. If you like what you see, feel free to subscribe and receive nature photography updates a few times a week.

During my recent trip to the East Coast, I got to see many works of art, including in the various Smithsonian museums in Washington D.C. Some of the art you find in D.C. is larger than life, such as the Thomas Jefferson’s statue inside the Jefferson Memorial.

Wordpress Weekly Photo Challenge: A work of art - Thomas Jefferson's statue at the Jefferson Memorial

WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge: A work of art – Thomas Jefferson’s statue at the Jefferson Memorial

Or the Marting Luther King Memorial, the latest addition to the monuments around the Tidal Basin. The monument represents this famous line from Dr. Luther King’s speech in Washington: “Out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope”. That quote is engraved on the side of the stone in which King is featured. What a great image for that quote. By the way, Martin Luther King directly faces the Jefferson Memorial, looking for hope in the man who wrote the Declaration of Independence.

Martin Luther King Memorial in Washington D.C.

Martin Luther King Memorial in Washington D.C.

Sometimes man can takes nature and create beautiful works of art. I enjoyed photographing this small man-made waterfall from behind.

Waterfall photographed from behind

Waterfall photographed from behind

Of course nature makes some of the most beautiful works of art. I got to see a lot of them in the shape of stalagmites and stalactites when I visited Luray Caverns in Virginia, the largest caverns in the Eastern United States.

Luray Caverns - transparent stalactites with layers

Luray Caverns – transparent stalactites with layers

Luray Caverns - giant stalactites

Luray Caverns – giant stalactites

Here’s Mother Nature at work, displaying its latest creation, a small stalactite in the making. Another million years and it will be as big as the ones shown in the photo above!

Luray Caverns - small stalagmite

Luray Caverns – small stalagmite

Nature in the spring on the East coast displays many works of art in the form of tree blossoms. I got to enjoy many Eastern red bud trees in bloom. What a sight!

Eastern red bud tree in bloom

Eastern red bud tree in bloom

But I’ll admit that my favorite probably were the pink magnolias, or tulip trees. A cloudy sky that day made for a great background to photograph the pink magnolia blooms from under.

Pink magnolia blossoms/ tulip tree in bloom

Pink magnolia blossoms/ tulip tree in bloom

I imagine your boys loved those caverns. What kid doesn’t like exploring caves? But your talk of D.C. makes me eager to go there again. It’s been a while, and it’s such a great city.

The boys love the caverns, even though they were a bit spooked. The guide has said not to lag behind too much because the lights in different parts of the cave are on a timer, so every time I stopped to take pictures, they thought I would end up in the dark, haha! I do think I heard a few wows out of their mouths, though. And the caverns are only a couple of hours away from DC so you could visit them on your next trip there. There’s so much to see in D.C. and it’s a great place for a family trip. You should go next spring. 🙂

2. restlessjo says:

These are really gorgeous, Milka 🙂 Especially those cavern shots.

Beautiful art of work gallery! Well done!

4. soonie2 says:

Fantastic images, all works of art! Those Cavern photos are fascinating!

Those caverns are fascinating indeed. A huge challenge to photograph because of the contrast between the bright lights and the darkness in the same shot.

5. Jane Lurie says:

Lots of great Americana. The monuments, gorgeous caverns ending with a fantastic nature image of pink blossoms. Beautiful set, Milka.

6. Lynne Ayers says:

Stunning shots of the caverns – especially the first one, nicely composed into a modern piece of art.

7. Great choices, Milka. I love caverns, but not small caves, where my dislike of tight places comes alive!

janet

Haha, I wouldn’t do small caves either! My kids thought I was taking them in a cave where they would have to wear a helmet and carry a flashlight. They were pleasantly surprised when they saw how big and well lit the caverns were.

8. Tina Schell says:

All great choices Milka! The last shot really calls to me!!