Today I’m participating in the WordPress weekly photo challenge and this week’s theme is “extra, extra”. Remember you can click on each photo for a larger view.

If you like what you see, feel free to subscribe and receive nature photography updates a few times a week.

When we visited Washington D.C. a few months ago, I decided we would take a tour bus to travel around the capital and see a lot of interesting places at once. Of course we got on and off many times for some up close sightseeing, but I also took a lot of quick photos from the inside of the bus. Did you notice I said quick photos? Being inside the bus means I didn’t have the ability to frame the shots the way I wanted to, including getting people and unwanted things out of the way. That made for a few extras in several of my pictures. This guy and his coffee cup are a perfect example of the many pictures I took from the bus. This is the US Capitol seen from the side. The cherry blossoms made up for the coffee guy as the “nice” extras in the picture.

The US Capitol from the side

The US Capitol from the side

This is the most narrow house in Georgetown, part of Washington DC. Too bad that tree happened to be in the way while I was taking a picture.

The most narrow house in Georgetown, Washington DC

The most narrow house in Georgetown, Washington DC

The Washington Monument was being renovated while we were there so depending on the angle you photographed it, you could include a nice crane in your shot like I did.

The Washington Monument and cherry blossoms in Washington DC

The Washington Monument and cherry blossoms in Washington DC

I was trying to photograph this American robin in the gardens of the Smithsonian castle when this grackle showed up to say hi. I bet he really wanted to be in the picture.

American robin and grackle taking a bird bath

American robin and grackle taking a bird bath

I didn’t take this last picture in Washington D.C. but I love the way this duck photobombed my photo of a white pelican. That’s a big extra in that picture.

Wordpress Weekly Photo Challenge: Extra, extra duck in front of white pelican

WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge: Extra, extra duck in front of white pelican

1. Topazshell says:

I enjoyed your photos. Sometimes what doesn’t belong in makes the photo more interesting.

Your pictures taken from inside a vehicle are better than mine taken outside of one! 🙂

The cherry blossoms are so beautiful! Love the bird captures.

Cherry blossoms sure are lovely but after seeing the tulip trees (pink magnolia) in bloom, I can tell they are even more beautiful with their giant pink petals.

4. Weird how those trees can just move into the shot so quickly! 🙂 I like the photo bombing bird.

janet

5. I think that the duck and grackle pictures are a perfect addition to this Extra extra photo collection. Great job!

6. Definitely lots of “extras” when you walk around a busy touristy place like DC! That narrow house in Georgetown must have been built into a little sideyard space between two houses. I remember Georgetown well, always interesting to wander around and watch people!

You know, I wondered how that house was built because all of those are row houses, so you’d think it was designed that way on purpose. But I like your theory of a later addition.

7. soonie2 says:

Wonderful images! I love how you framed the Monument with the cherry blossoms…and I especially love how that grackle photo bombed that Robin image!!

8. Lovely photos, especially the birds, duck, pelican!!

Michael
    check out my recent post on Alligators $250 Fine!