Today I’m participating in Where’s My Backpack’s Travel Theme photo challenge. This week’s theme is “motion”. If you like what you see, feel free to subscribe and receive nature photography updates a few times a week.

I took a lot of great photos of the Fourth of July fireworks last night, and I thought I’d use this week’s photo theme on motion to start sharing them. Fireworks are in constant motion as they go up, as they explode, and as they make their way back down. For the first time last night, I did everything I was supposed to do to get the best fireworks photos I could get: use the right camera, a tripod, and the perfect settings in full manual mode. The trick is to have the perfect timing to capture the motion for the best effect. I still have to work on that part. That means more practice next year!

Here are a few of the photos I’ve edited so far. Remember you can click on these photos for a larger view. Enjoy!

Here’s the first multi-color fireworks I’ve ever seen. Don’t they look great?

Travel theme: Motion of Fourth of July fireworks

Travel theme: Motion of Fourth of July fireworks

Travel theme: Motion of Fourth of July fireworks

Travel theme: Motion of Fourth of July fireworks

I’d never seen fireworks like these below but they looked really nice.

Fourth of July fireworks - 2013

Fourth of July fireworks – 2013

Fourth of July fireworks - burst of pink and red

Fourth of July fireworks – burst of pink and red

They’re wonderful! I knew you’d take some great ones. 🙂

Thank you! I thought I’d try it out this year. In the past, whenever I tried, I never really focused of using the right settings and never brought a tripod, so I always ended up with terrible pictures. It’s amazing what you can get when you actually use a camera the right way. 🙂

2. adinparadise says:

Pretty firework display, Milka. 🙂

3. pommepal says:

Beautiful they look kike flowers bursting into bloom

4. Beautiful shots, Milka! I like the first one very much.

Thank you! I think it’s my favorite one too in this post. I’d never seen a multicolor firework before so I’m glad I was able to capture it on camera.

5. Wishing a wonderful 4th of July! Amazing fireworks. We went to see the fireworks in Galveston Island and it was a “wow” moment.

Thank you! Our firework finale was excellent this year and we were close enough to feel all the booms in our chests. Every year, my kids allow me to bring them closer, so next year, we should be really close!

Wow, amazing shots!

7. soonie2 says:

WOW! Milka, these are just spectacular! Love them all!!!

8. char says:

That multicolored one is amazing. I love how you captured them. I don’t even try because I know they won’t look good (and I’m too lazy to read and figure out how to take night pics). Glad I can enjoy yours.

Thank you! I was thinking of using the night setting but when I read online how they can be very grainy, I decided to opt for the full manual settings all the way. I’m glad it worked out OK! I love that multicolor firework too. It’s quite unique.

9. The first one is my favorite – like a multi-colored pom-pom; looks really crisp.

10. […] few weeks ago, I shared some of the photos I took of the Fourth of July fireworks. Today, I’d like to share a few more of my favorite. I’ve found out over the years […]

11. […] far distance to capture them sharp, like this multi-color firework, by far my favorite. You can see more photos of fireworks here and […]

12. […] I wanted to share the last few photos I took of the fireworks this past July. You can see my other photos of the Fourth of July fireworks here and here. Remember you can click on each photo for a larger […]