Today I’m taking part in the Macro Monday photo challenge. If you like what you see, I encourage you to subscribe so you can enjoy the new photos I post a few times a week.

I was taking photos of roses a few days ago and that’s when I found this little guy hiding in the center of a yellow rose. It’s a green figeater beetle, more commonly known as junebug, and it was the size of my thumb. I was worried it’d leave when I got closer to take pictures of it but no, it just stayed there patiently until I was done. I love the metallic green of its shell!

Remember you can click on each photo for a larger view.

Macro Monday: Junebug - the green figeater beetle

Macro Monday: Junebug – the green figeater beetle

Here’s an even closer shot of this green junebug. Check out the “hairs” on the head!

Macro Monday: Junebug, green beetle

Macro Monday: Junebug, green beetle

1. Mary says:

Great shots! An impressive junebug!

2. Beautiful pictures of the junebug!

Beautiful colourful bug.

4. Pat says:

Wonderful captures of that little creature.

I’m not a fan of beetles, but I’ll agree, that green is pretty cool!

Large beetles can be pretty freaky when they fly or crawl right in front of you. But they can have some very cool colors, so I can’t complain.

6. soonie2 says:

Wow, great captures! He’s pretty amazing, our june bugs are a drab brown!

Thank you! We don’t see that many green beetles so it was nice to have the opportunity to photograph it. Usually, it’s more of the large black scarabs, or the smaller stink beetles.

7. This little character looks as if he could glow quite well in the dark! Great photos!

8. […] These figeater beetles (part of the scarab family because they’re so big) have been part of our summer about everywhere we’ve been. They tend to flight blindly into everything and everyone. They startle a lot of people by flying directly into their faces and induce a lot of shrieks and rapid movements. My kids tell me they actually can’t see where they’re going and I think they may be right. They sure look a lot nicer when they’re standing still, with their metallic green wing casing closed. I got lucky the day I managed to photograph one of those green June bugs inside a yellow rose. […]