Today I’m taking part in the Macro Monday photo challenge. You can click on each photo for a larger view.

If you like what you see, I encourage you to subscribe so you can enjoy the new photos I post a few times a week.

I ran across this shrub over the weekend and I had to take a few pictures of its very peculiar blooms. This is the hairpin banksia shrub, part of the protea family, originally from South Africa.

Macro Monday: hairpin banksia shrub

Macro Monday: hairpin banksia shrub

Take a closer look at the shrub’s blooms. I don’t even know if you could call them flowers. Aren’t they something?

Macro Monday: hairpin banksia shrub bloom

Macro Monday: hairpin banksia shrub bloom

Here’s an ever closer look at a hairpin banksia bloom. Nature sure had fun with this one!

Close-up of a hairpin banksia shrub bloom

Close-up of a hairpin banksia shrub bloom

1. Katrin says:

Amazing! And I like the label ‘shrub blooms’!

Very pretty! The shape is very interesting.

What an interesting plant. I don’t suppose those would grow in Ohio’s climate. At least I don’t think I’ve ever seen them here. Then again, my observational skills for plant life are not good…

I doubt they would survive your cold winters. San Diego weather is very similar to the one in Australia and South Africa (dry and hot) so we see a lot of plants from there do well here, like the bottle brush trees and the eucalyptus trees, which I can’t stand since they can drop giant branches at any moment and hurt or kill whoever is walking underneath. I have no idea why we have so many of them here.

4. pamasaurus says:

How gorgeous! We definitely don’t have those here. Thanks for sharing!

5. What a beautifully textured blossom!

6. Pat says:

How unique! Beautifully photographed.

7. chrisstov says:

They are indeed something, but they look lovely and I see you saved the best shot till last.

8. Oh wow these are beautiful flowers, I have never seen one before.

9. I have never seen anything like this. Lovely! Thanks for sharing.