Before I forget, my 2013 12-month photo calendar is available at 50% off on my Zazzle online store. Use coupon code CALSLASTDEAL at checkout.

This week’s WordPress photo challenge is resolved, as in New Year’s resolutions. This year I’ve decided to make new year’s intentions. not resolutions (sorry, WordPress people). I’m still working on my list but I love the way my list of challenges is going so far, especially when it comes to my photography. My projects will include this website, my Facebook page, and my Zazzle store. The good thing is, there’s plenty of room for growth and improvement.

This year, I’m also resolved to understand the full features of my new camera, the  Canon Powershot G1X. I’ve mostly figured out how to use the manual settings on my Canon Powershot SX130, and the two cameras work in a similar way, so it shouldn’t be too hard.

Yesterday, I tried to photograph something new. A waterfall. This has to be the smallest waterfall you’ve ever seen but it was great for practicing taking pictures of running water. It’s part of the San Diego River at Mission Trails regional park, in San Diego, California.

Make sure you click on each image for a larger view.

San Diego River at Mission Trails park, San Diego, California

San Diego River at Mission Trails park, San Diego, California

I love the soft winter light that gives a bluish tint to the water in the shade.

Small waterfall at Mission Trails park, San Diego, California

Small waterfall at Mission Trails park, San Diego, California

Considering the small size of my subject, I think I did a pretty good job. What do you think?

Of course, the key will be to find a bigger waterfall in the future. This is quite a challenge in Southern California, where water is so scarce. It’s all about timing here, because after the spring, everything dries up. There’s a nice waterfall in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park  but I believe the park entrance closest to it is has been closed for lack of funding every time I’ve driven by it. How convenient is that for me? I’ll give it another try in the spring, just in case.

Are you resolved to making small and big changes for 2013?

1. nuvofelt says:

Excellent shots. I can ‘hear’ the water.

Those pictures are great. If you can do that with tiny waterfalls, can’t wait to see what you can do with the bigger ones. 🙂

Thank you! Unfortunately we don’t have giant waterfalls here and I’m not planning a trip to close big waterfalls in the near future. If the park entrance reopens in the spring, there should still be some water to photograph, especially if the winter rain continues. That place is very pretty, lots of boulders with thin waterfalls in between and shallow pools. 95% of that state park burned down in the 2003 wildfires and part of it again in 2008, so there’s not much to see there otherwise anymore. It’s too bad because it was a beautiful place to hike. 😦

3. Jo Bryant says:

they are beautiful images…how did you get the water so smooth ?

It’s all about shutter speed, which is what I played with yesterday. The key is to have good light so you can have a low shutter speed without the image being blurry (I didn’t have a tripod with me). The water needs to be flowing pretty fast too. If it’s just a slow stream, it won’t look smooth. You need to change your camera settings to manual to do that. The automatic setting will give you crisp running water every time.

• Jo Bryant says:

Thanks…I have a friend who has a waterfall near her place and I want to try to take some good shots. I’ll keep this in mind.
        🙂

It’s worth playing around with the camera settings. Just have her google how to take photos of waterfalls and she can find a lot of tips. It’s really not that difficult but you need to have a little time to play with the settings to get the results you want, since the light makes all the difference.

4. Lovely long exposure. I have just gone up from a compact to my very first SLR. I am at the very beginning of my journey. If in a while I can get a long exposure that good I will be more than happy.

Thank you and good luck with your SLR. I considered a Canon SLR as my new camera but when I saw all the Canon Powershot G1X had to offer, along with a CMOS sensor, I went for it and I haven’t been disappointed. The images are very sharp in various lighting and the colors are beautiful. I need to buy a macro lens for close-ups but I can use my other Canon for that in the meantime.

5. Sea Play Photography says:

great shots!

6. Very nice. These slow shutter speeds are on my to learn list too. Maybe I will learn from you. go get some more and tell me how it’s done! 😉

7. char says:

I love any water pictures. The softening you did on the images is super cool.

Thanks, I’m pretty happy with the photos turned out. I just joined the Project 365 – 2013 where you share one photo every day of the year, and this photo got a lot of likes on their Facebook page, so it motivates me to go back to the spot and try to get more shots.

8. […] Pejovic from Perfecting Motherhood and milkapejovic.com: On her Perfecting Motherhood blog, Milka posts about family, books, and life situations. On her […]