Today I’m participating in the WordPress weekly photo challenge and this week’s theme is “from lines to patterns”. You can click on the photos below for a larger view. If you like what you see, feel free to subscribe and receive nature photography updates a few times a week.

I love the color patterns created by the lines on this monarch caterpillar.

Wordpress weekly photo challenge: from lines to patterns - monarch caterpillar

WordPress weekly photo challenge: from lines to patterns – monarch caterpillar

Take a look at the intricate lines and patterns that make up the wings of a dragonfly. No wonder this is the fastest flying insect in the world.

Wordpress weekly photo challenge: from lines to patterns - wings of an orange dragonfly

WordPress weekly photo challenge: from lines to patterns – wings of an orange dragonfly

The leaves of the bloodleaf plant (Iresine herbstii) display some beautiful lines all across.

Bloodleaf plant - Iresine herbstii

Bloodleaf plant – Iresine herbstii

I love the beautiful patterns and lines on the wood duck.

Wordpress weekly photo challenge: from lines to patterns - wood duck

WordPress weekly photo challenge: from lines to patterns – wood duck

Waves create lines and patterns, even if it’s just the small ripples of a lake.

Lines and patterns of a lake's waves

Lines and patterns of a lake’s waves

Dandelions in seeds displays a lot of lines sorted by clusters.

Lines and patterns of a dandelion in seed

Lines and patterns of a dandelion in seed

I chose the lines of the paper kite butterfly (Idea Leuconoe) for last. I hope you enjoy them!

Lines and patterns of the paper kite butterfly (Idea Leuconoe)

Lines and patterns of the paper kite butterfly (Idea Leuconoe)

I love the caterpillar and butterfly ones! The caterpillar is so vibrant, he almost looks like a cartoon.

There’s something about caterpillars that makes them looks a bit rubbery (except for the fuzzy ones). It’s amazing how different they look from the final butterfly colors.

2. The caterpillar is fantastic. 🙂

What a great selection to highlight that theme. Love the caterpillar!

Very cool selections! Beautiful post!

5. pamasaurus says:

Beautiful photos, all of them are great choices for this challenge.

6. The dragonfly is awesome!

janet

Well, thank you for rooting for the dragonfly and not the caterpillar like everyone else! I really like dragonflies but they’re quite a challenge to photograph since they barely sit still.

7. soonie2 says:

I love them all but the caterpillar is definitely a fave! Just amazing!

8. Lovely selection of photos! Nature is definitely full of patterns and the little caterpillar is a fabulous example.

9. mithriluna says:

Gorgeous images of pattern! Thanks for sharing.

10. restlessjo says:

You do put a lovely collection together, Milka 🙂

11. Each one takes us to a happy, peaceful, even carefree childhood place in our hearts and memory. I used to chase orange dragonflies as a kid at a rice field next to my parent’s house. Now it’s a concrete building. Miss those simple times. Best wishes to you and your family.